Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Blah, Blah, Blah

As a rule, I hate SuperMan. I mean, seriously, how can the strongest Man in the universe be challenged by anybody? Also, I'm not a fan of vampires. I don't know why, because Count Blah was hilarious. Maybe it's the whole, "I can live forever by just sucking some blood and having some lady write a book about me" thing but I don't find vampires interesting. But that may change if more foreign vampire flicks pop up. I just watched Lat den ratte komma in and let me just say, this movie kicks ass. I think that if Van Helsing had been foreign, and by foreign I mean in a language I don't understand, I probably would be a bigger fan of Dracula. There is just something about a foreign movie. Yes, I admit I did just want to see Amelie because Audrey Tautou is cute, and on a date it impressed my wife that I would "read" a movie, but on a larger scale, foreign movies rock. They make you feel small in a way that nothing else does. How often do you think about a foreign country? If you read Jason's blog it doesn't count. I mean how often do you think of a country in which you know no one? Most people don't realize it, unless they've been to that place and love it, but the sun rises and sets everyday on places where people don't know your name and don't care if you live or die. Maybe that's why I can groove to a foreign flick like Lat den ratte komma in. Not so much because of a vampire but because aren't those people cold? Watch the film and figure it out but Jesus, there's a whole bunch of people out there who aren't put off by the Storm of the Century hype that grips every American news channel every winter. Their cars are different, their neighborhoods are different, their food is different and their beer is better. For a guy that's only been out of the country once in his life and believes that nothing beats Nirvana, a foreign film is like a vacation where I can go native and not feel self-conscious about it. So I say 'Bring on the vampires!' As long as I can get a vacation out of it and not have to worry about finding a babysitter, it's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment