Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I love the city of New Orleans. Maybe because I'm a southerner or maybe because the French Quarter is beautiful. And I'm not talking about Bourbon St. I don't need to go to another city to get drunk, that's just a perk. Recently though, I saw this show on YouTube that disturbed me deeply. After watching all eight parts I realized something. Not that NOLA is crap, or that I had missed something in my visits. I started wondering how in the hell can a government, whether local, state or federal, ignore such a problem. Sure there's the argument of people needing to be responsible for themselves but doesn't the government have a responsibility also? For a government, even one of a city I love, to allow people to live in such conditions is reprehensible. Anyway, I was all set to throw a fit and then I found this with its links to dissidentvoice.com. Now I'm all confused about whether or not the "destruction" of the Magnolia, Melpomene and Calliope projects being blamed on Katrina is a bad thing. On the one hand, new housing projects will probably not be built so those folks are SOL due to the literal theft of their homes. On the other hand, if I had lived in the 3rd ward I wonder if I would have complained about having to move.

No comments:

Post a Comment