Monday, August 2, 2010

Remember That Guy? Yeah, He's Back....

Contrary to what all those drug companies tell you, depression can be funny. You can be bopping along, ready to enjoy a week and a half of vacation and the next thing you know, you're standing in AutoZone and in walks an Amish guy who puts your "awesome" vacay beard to shame (true story). So it has, or had, been for me over the time I've been away from the blog-o-sphere. I do tend toward the weird side of things and depression is one of them. I think it's just because I think Kurt Cobain was a genius that I suffer from depression and IBS (which I love to call Crohn's Disease), although I have been officially diagnosed with both. The last time I posted, I was getting set to go to New York for a camping trip. Well, that didn't happen. And then I was getting set to go to PA for a camping trip. Some of that happened. I went to PA, I hiked for five hours, I set up my camp, I got lonely, I packed up my camp, I drove home. See, funny. LOL! Usually, when I get down, I function okay. I go to work, I cook, I eat. My main depression "tell" is that I don't want to be seen by people. I don't start drinking, I don't get suicidal and I don't kill other people, I just hide. Kinda like Sasquatch. Because I am the law I can pretty much sit in my office all day and only go out for calls if I feel crappy. Then, it's straight home to cook and eat. One of the reasons why I got rid of my Grand Cherokee was this hide response. It had dark tinted windows that allowed me to hide, lengthening my episodes. So, it was funny (there's that word again) for me to get out in the woods - alone - and get lonely. Luckily for me wife is kinda crazy, too. She can understand my pain, although she still bugs me about the money I spent on camping stuff. In case you're wondering, I'm better now. I'm out in public (even tho I hate people; see: Trip to Lowe's), I'm doing what needs done and I'm actually happy(ish). To top it all off, if you can see and read, I'm Tweeting (@NakiaDJohn). Why? Because I'm awesome! And I'm working on building my platform. What's a platform. Well, kids, a platform is a term coined by writing professionals. In short: it is you. Your exposure in the world, your marketability, your advertisement for yourself. Why am I working on my platform? Cause I write. This blog, and The Lost Ranger, were originally for practice. Just a public writing exercise. Helping me get my thoughts down and out. This, and my super childish imagination, has lead me to start my first novel. I won't tell you what it's about just in case I stop writing (or it sucks) but I'm on my way. I've also submitted a couple short stories; one to Albedo for the Aeon Award and one to Black Static. I've got my fingers crossed and my face to the sun. And it's ninety degrees so I'm going back inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment